Friday, May 18, 2012

Birthday Cake in a Bottle!

So for Sky's birthday, I made him dinner. And dessert, obviously. 

And I am going to start with the dessert in this little blog post. I see cake-in-a-jar on Pinterest all the time. I always wanted to try it. So I did! This is the original recipe/idea I used. I didn't want to make a straight up rainbow cake for my very manly boyfriend. So I did a variation. 

Here are the colors I used! So pretty and vibrant. 
Purple, three shades of blue, green, and orange! 

You just make a white cake mix as the box says, and dye the batter as many colors as you want! I did six. I believe the jars I used are pint jars. I really have no idea, but they're like medium.  Not tiny, but not the giant jars. The recipe says to use 3 Tablespoons of each color... There's no real rule of how much to use.  It does puff up, so I would say try to not fill the jar any more than half way with batter. 


I don't know why the above picture is sideways. I can't figure it out. So this is what it looks like right out of the oven. Mine took right around 35 minutes. Aren't they awesome?! I love it. Let them cool down, and you can store them in the fridge for a couple days, but I'm sure they're fine out on the counter.  I say that because I accidentally left mine out all night. 


And the final product! The picture kind of sucks. Sky doesn't like sprinkles, but I put a couple on his any way. And of course a candle! So by this time, the cake had shrunken back down into the bottle (made these on Wednesday, ate them on Thursday).  But I scooped out a little off the top so the frosting would fit pretty much flush with the rim of the bottle. The colors were SO bright once we dug in. And it was delicious. I want to make cake-in-a-bottle every day. 

  • 1 box white cake mix, made according to package
  • Neon food coloring in any colors you want
  • Pint sized jars (2-3)
  • 1 can Vanilla frosting
  • Rainbow sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly wash and dry the inside of each canning jar. Spray the inside of each jar thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. 

Scoop about 1/2 cups of cake batter into five/six small bowls.  It doesn't have to be perfect, don't panic if you get a little more or less of one color than another. Tint each bowl of cake batter with the food coloring until very vibrant. 

Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the first color into the bottom of each jar. Spoon equal amounts of each of the other colors in whatever order you want.  Place the jars in a shallow baking dish, add about 1/4" of water in the baking dish.  Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. 

Remove jars and allow to cool completely before scooping a small portion off the top of your cake. You can serve immediately by adding a good amount of frosting/sprinkles on top. Or you can put a lid on them and wait.  Store them in the fridge if you're not devouring them within a couple hours. 

Make this for someone special! It is a treat. And I do recommend letting them come back to room temperature if you end up refrigerating them. 

Can't wait to experiment more with cake-in-a-jar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment